Saturday, November 16, 2013

Week 48 - Chili Lime Corn-Cakes with Avocado Cream

I guess you could say I've taken a little vacation away from making pancakes.  Partly because my husband has been pleading with me, "please, no more pancakes for a while."  Part of it too has been that I needed a bit of a break and now I'm back with fresh ideas.



I came across a pancake idea through Pinterest for Savory Lime Corncakes .  I thought this would be a perfect side to the Chicken Tortilla Soup I had going in the crockpot. 
So I took the idea for the recipe and ran with it, using my base for pancakes but making tweaks along the way.  First I substituted half of the flour for cornmeal, but realized the batter was too loose and added more corn meal.  Much better!  Then I added fun spices like garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika (gotta get the Hungarian influence in there too :-) .  For the liquid portion of the recipe I added in a bit of lime juice to brighten things up. 

I absolutely love the idea of the avocado cream.  I would have never thought to mix guacamole with sour cream, but now makes perfect sense!  I think I'll be using this cream sauce in lots of other things too.  Jó étvágyat!


Chili Lime Corn-Cakes with Avocado Cream
Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp butter, melted
Avocado cream (recipe to follow)

Directions:
1. Preheat a griddle or pan to medium-high heat
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika in the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg white until light ad frothy.  Whisk in the egg yolk, milk, melted butter, and lime juice.
4. Whisk together the dry ingredients with the wet until fairly smooth.
5. Butter the griddle or pan.  Ladle corn cake mixture on to the pan, cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles form around the edges, then flip and cook an addition 3-4 minutes.

6. Serve warm with avocado cream.


Avocado Cream
Ingredients:
4 oz premade guacamole (I used Wholly Guacamole)



No comments:

Post a Comment